Last year, I designed the Chevron Peaks Slouch for the Hat Not Hate campaign and I really loved the technique & crochet stitches that created the design and texture of the hat. I loved it so much that I came up with an argyle design for last year’s crochet Christmas stocking pattern. Then, after completing the argyle stocking, I knew that the design would make a great hat, but I ran out of time last winter to release the Argyle Beanie & Slouch and released it this past fall. Since then, I’ve come up with a few more fun designs using this technique. You can find the free crochet pattern for the Diamonds Beanie & Slouch in this post below, or an ad-free print friendly version on Love Crafts here, Ravelry here, or on Etsy here. *The ad-free PDF includes the beanie, slouch, messy bun & ear warmer patterns in one.
I’ve had so many crocheters reach out to tell me that they LOVED my Chevron Peaks Slouch. I was pleasantly shocked because it was one of those designs that I really didn’t think would garner much attention. All of the positive messages I received were the reason I used the same technique for the argyle stocking and this crochet beanie pattern. I’ve got a couple more fun designs coming your way with this technique too!
Aren’t personalized leather tags such a great finishing touch to add to our crochet items? I ordered these ones and a couple different wooden ones from an awesome online maker. You can find links to where I purchased and a tutorial on how to attach all of them HERE.
The Diamonds Beanie & Slouch is part of the Celebrate the Holidays event hosted by Nicole Riley from Nicki’s Homemade Crafts. To read more about this event and find out how to get more free PDF downloads, click HERE.
Options, options, options!
The Diamonds Beanie & Slouch crochet pattern includes 2 hat band options (Stretchy Hat Band of Simple Hat Band) and 2 lengths (Beanie or Slouch). Both styles are crocheted from the bottom up. First, choose and crochet the style hat band you’d like. Then, continue on to crochet the length of the hat you love. Each option is clearly written.
The gold sample above was made using the stretchy hat band and slouch length.
Diamonds BEANIE & SLOUCH – SCROLL DOWN
Diamonds MESSY BUN – CLICK HERE
Diamonds Ear Warmer – Click HERE
Diamonds BEANIE & SLOUCH – FREE CROCHET HAT PATTERN
The free pattern is below, but if you love to work offline, or need to order your yarn, I’ve got a couple other great options for you.
Purchase the ad-free, printable PDF, including all photo tutorials, on Love Crafts here, Ravelry here, or Etsy here. *The ad-free PDF includes the beanie, slouch, messy bun & ear warmer patterns in one.
Save this pattern to your Ravelry favorites here.
Pin it for later here.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: Worsted Weight Yarn / 4 / Any Color – Lion Brand Yarns Touch of Alpaca in Goldenrod was used for the slouch in the photos.
- Yardage: See “Fits Head Size” below for yardage of all sizes.
- Crochet Hooks: G/6/4.00mm, H/8/5.00mm (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I’ve never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Yarn Needle
- Scrap piece of yarn or stitch marker
- Faux Fur Pom (optional – I LOVE these poms!)
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
- In hat band stitch pattern: 6 sts = 1.25″; 14 rows = 3″
- Body of Hat in sc: 11.5 sts = 3″; 11 rows = 3″
Fits Head Size
- Toddler: 16″ – 17-1/2″ circ. (120 – 180 yards)
- Kids: 18″ – 20″ circ. (140 – 210 yards)
- Teen / Adult Small: 20-1/2″ – 22-1/2″ circ. (160 – 220 yards)
- Adult Medium / Large: 23″ – 24-1/2″ circ. (180 – 230 yards)
- Diamonds Beanie & Slouch Pattern – Scroll Down
- Diamonds Messy Bun Pattern – Click HERE
- Diamonds Ear Warmer Pattern – Click HERE
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch(s): chain(s)
- sl st(s): slip stitch(es)
- st(s): stitch(es)
- sc: single crochet
- dc: double crochet
- inv sc2tog: invisible single crochet decrease
- RS: right side
- BLO: back loop only
- FLO: front loop only
- Rep: repeat
- Rnd: round
- yo: yarn over
- circ: circumference
- Turning chains are not included in stitch count unless noted otherwise.
- The majority of the pattern is worked in continuous rounds (a spiral). I suggest using a stitch marker to keep track of the round you’re on.
- Yarn Notes: Lion Brand Yarns Wool Ease, Touch of Alpaca & Pound of Love were used for the samples. Another comparable light worsted weight yarn may be used as long as gauge is met.
- Lion Brand Touch of Alpaca: 90% Acrylic / 10% Alpaca (207 yards / 190 m / 100 g / 13.5 oz).
- Lion Brand Pound of Love: 100% Acrylic (1020 yards / 932 m / 454 g / 16 oz).
- Lion Brand Yarns Wool Ease: 80% Acrylic / 20% Wool (197 yds / 180 m / 85 g / 3 oz)
- Pattern Repeats: In the crochet instructions you’ll see: rep from ( to ) around. The instructions written within the ( ) parentheses are one full pattern repeat. You are to repeat these around the entire hat. The stitch pattern will repeat evenly so you should not have any stitches remaining at the end of each round.
- Changes for sizes are written as follows: Toddler (Child, Teen/Adult Small, Adult Medium/Large).
- Stretchy Hat Band
- Simple Hat Band
- Step 1: Choose your Hat Band option.
- Step 2: Crochet the Body of Hat to the height specified for the length option you choose (Beanie or Slouch).
- Diamonds Beanie & Slouch – Scroll Down
- Diamonds Messy Bun – Click Here
- Diamonds Ear Warmer – Click Here
- Invisible Single Crochet Decrease (inv sc2tog): Insert hook into the BLO of stitch indicated, insert hook into BLO of next stitch, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru all loops on hook.
Diamonds Beanie & Slouch Instructions
- Step 1: Choose your Hat Band option (Simple or Stretchy). Crochet the hat band.
Simple Hat Band
Gauge: Using a 5mm hook: 11.5 sc = 3″ (stitch height isn’t crucial)
Note: This entire project is worked in a spiral (continuous rounds). I strongly suggest using a scrap piece of yarn to keep track of the beginning of each round.
Set-up: Using a 5mm crochet hook, ch 60 (68, 78, 86), being careful not to twist the ch, join w/ a sl st to the 1st ch.
Rnd 1 (RS): Ch 1, working into the back hump of the foundation ch, sc in each ch around. Do not join. (60, 68, 78, 86 sts) *Begin using a stitch marker or scrap piece of yarn to keep track of the beginning of each round as you work.
Rnd 2 Note: In Rnd 2 you will increase 2 – 4 stitches. You can place these extra stitches wherever you’d like. Stitch placement is not crucial.
Rnd 2: Work 64 (72, 80, 88) sc evenly around. Do not join. (64, 72, 80, 88 sts)
Rnd 3: BLO sc in each st around. Do not join.
Do not fasten off. Continue on to Diamonds Design – Body of Hat.
Stretchy Hat Band
Gauge: In stitch pattern as the pattern is written, using a 4mm hook: 6 sts = 1.25″; 14 rows = 3″
Row 1 (RS): Using a 4mm crochet hook, ch 8 (8, 9, 9), working into the back hump of the foundation ch, sc in the 2nd ch from your hook and in each ch across. Turn. (7, 7, 8, 8 sts)
Row 2: Ch 1, BLO, sl st in each st across. Turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, BLO, sc in each st across. Turn.
Rows 4 – 59 (67, 77, 85): Rep Rows 2 – 3.
Approximate length at this point (un-stretched): 12.75″ (14.35″, 16.5″, 18.25″)
Row 60 (68, 78, 86) – Seam Row: With RS facing out, bring the first row up to meet the last row (the first row should be in front if you kept the RS facing out). Position your working yarn so that it’s on the inside of the hat band (if needed, click HERE and scroll down to the seam photos in the tutorial). Ch 1, slip stitch the rows together using the following method: insert your hook (from front to back) into the FLO of the 1st stitch of Row 1, insert your hook (from back to front) into the BLO of the 1st stitch of the last row, yo, pull thru all loops on your hook. Continue in this way across the hat band to complete the seam. (7, 7, 8, 8 sts)
Do not fasten off. Continue on to Set-Up Body of Hat.
Set-Up Body of Hat
Gauge: With 5mm hook, in sc: 11.5 sts = 3″; 11 rows = 3″
The entire Body of Hat is worked in a spiral (continuous rounds). I strongly suggest using a scrap piece of yarn to keep track of the beginning of each round.
Rnd 1 Note: In Rnd 1 you will increase 2 – 4 stitches from the number of rows worked in the hat band. You can place these extra stitches wherever you’d like. Stitch placement is not crucial.
Rnd 1 (RS): Using a 5mm crochet hook and working into the sides of the rows of the stretchy hat band, ch 1, work 64 (72, 80, 88) sc evenly around. Do not join. (64, 72, 80, 88 sts) *Begin using a stitch marker or scrap piece of yarn to keep track of the beginning of each round as you work.
Rnd 2: BLO sc in each st around.
Do not fasten off. Continue on to Diamonds Design – Body of Hat.
Diamonds Design – Body of Hat
The remainder of this project is worked in a spiral (continuous rounds). I strongly suggest using a scrap piece of yarn to keep track of the beginning and ending of each round.
See Diamonds Chart Below
Rnd 2: (BLO sc in each of the next 3 sts, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in the next st, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in each of the next 2 sts ) rep from ( to ) around.
Rnd 3: (BLO sc in each of the next 2 sts, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in each of the next 3 sts, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in the next st) rep from ( to ) around.
Rnd 4: (BLO sc in the next st, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in each of the next 5 sts, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below ) rep from ( to ) around.
Rnd 5: (FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in each of the next 7 sts) rep from ( to ) around.
Rnd 6: Rep Rnd 4. *Note: Some FLO dc will be worked into the FLO of other dc 2 rnds below.
Rnd 7: Repeat Round 3.
Rnd 8: Rep Rnd 2.
Rnd 9: Rep Rnd 1.
Beanie: Repeat Rounds 2 – 9 until your hat measures 5″ (6″, 6.25″, 6.75″) from the bottom edge of the hat band.
Slouch: Repeat Rounds 2 – 9 until your hat measures 7″ (7.75″, 8.5″, 8.75″) from the bottom edge of the hat band.
Do not fasten off. Continue on to Crown Shaping.
How to read the chart above:
- Read the chart from right to left, bottom to top.
- The Blue squares indicate when you’ll work a dc.
- Make sure to work the dc in the front loops of stitches 2 rounds below the current round.
- The vertical numbers indicate the round you’re on. Begin following the chart and working a dc in round 1 of Diamonds Design.
- The horizontal numbers represent the stitch number. This stitch pattern is a multiple of 8 stitches.
Rnd 1: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in each of the next 6 sts) rep from ( to ) around. (56, 63, 70, 77 sts)
Rnd 2: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in each of the next 5 sts) rep from ( to ) around. (48, 54, 60, 66 sts)
Rnd 3: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in each of the next 4 sts) rep from ( to ) around. (40, 45, 50, 55 sts)
Rnd 4: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in each of the next 3 sts) rep from ( to ) around. (32, 36, 40, 44 sts)
Rnd 5: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in each of the next 2 sts) rep from ( to ) around. (24, 27, 30, 33 sts)
Rnd 6: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in the next st) rep from ( to ) around. (16, 18, 20, 22 sts)
Rnd 7: (BLO inv sc2tog) rep from ( to ) around. (8, 9, 10, 11 sts)
Fasten off leaving an 8″ tail of yarn. Using a yarn needle, weave the tail of yarn in and out of the stitches from the last round, pull tail to cinch the crown of the hat closed, knot to secure and weave in ends.
Beanie: If you made a Simple Hat Band, continue on to Finishing. If you made a Stretchy Hat Band, your hat is complete! Finished hat height should be approximately 7″ (7.75″, 8.25″, 8.75″).
Slouch: If you made a Simple Hat Band, continue on to Finishing. If you made a Stretchy Hat Band, your hat is complete! Finished hat height should be approximately 8.5″ (9.25″, 10″, 10.5″).
Simple Hat Band Finishing
Note: Make sure not to work this part too tightly or you can greatly affect the fit of your hat. Adjust your hook size to get the perfect fit, as needed.
Rnd 1: Join yarn in stitch closest to the first st of Rnd 1 of hat band, sl st in each st around the bottom of your hat band. Use the Special Join Technique (click HERE for tutorial), to join.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Your diamonds beanie is complete!
Now that you’ve finished crocheting your Diamonds Beanie or Slouch hat, add your own finishing touches using one of these fun options!
- Chain Loop Pom (click here for tutorial)
- Faux Fur Pom (click here)
- Personalized Tags (click here for tutorial)
MORE FREE CROCHET PATTERNS FROM A CROCHETED SIMPLICITY
If you enjoy this crochet beanie & slouch pattern, you may enjoy these other projects as well. And if you just want to browse, you can find all of our free crochet patterns HERE.
Are you intimidated by knit-look crochet? Would you love to learn my tips & tricks? Take an Annies Video Class with me and let me ease your fears and help you increase your skills! Click on the photo below to watch a free preview. You can also see the other 4 video classes I have available!
Please share your finished ACS projects with us in the A Crocheted Simplicity Crochet Community Group on Facebook! Use hashtag #ACrochetedSimplicity when sharing on social media so I can find your posts!