Last year, I designed the Chevron Peaks Slouch for the Hat Not Hate campaign and I really loved the technique & crochet stitches that created the design and texture of the hat. I loved it so much that I came up with an argyle design for last year's crochet Christmas stocking pattern. Then, after completing the argyle stocking, I knew that the design would make a great hat, but I ran out of time last winter to release the Argyle Beanie & Slouch and released it this past fall. Since then, I've come up with a few more fun designs using this technique. You can find the free crochet pattern for the Diamonds Messy Bun in this post below, or an ad-free print friendly version on Love Crafts here, Ravelry here, or on Etsy here. *The ad-free PDF includes the beanie, slouch, messy bun & ear warmer patterns in one.
>> CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP TO RECEIVE OUR NEWSLETTER <<
I've had so many crocheters reach out to tell me that they LOVED my Chevron Peaks Slouch. I was pleasantly shocked because it was one of those designs that I really didn't think would garner much attention. All of the positive messages I received were the reason I used the same technique for the argyle stocking and this crochet hat pattern. I've got a couple more fun designs coming your way with this technique too!
Aren't personalized leather tags such a great finishing touch to add to our crochet items? I ordered these ones and a couple different wooden ones from an awesome online maker. You can find links to where I purchased and a tutorial on how to attach all of them HERE.
For this crochet messy bun pattern, I chose to use one of my favorite golds, Lion Brand Yarns Touch of Alpaca in Goldenrod.
Diamonds Beanie & Slouch - Click HERE
Diamonds Messy Bun - Scroll Down
Diamonds Ear Warmer - Click HERE
Diamonds MESSY BUN – FREE CROCHET HAT PATTERN
The free pattern is below, but if you love to work offline, or need to order your yarn, I’ve got a couple other great options for you.
Purchase the ad-free, printable PDF, including all photo tutorials, on Love Crafts here, Ravelry here, or Etsy here. *The ad-free PDF includes all hat options: beanie, slouch, messy bun & ear warmer.
Save this pattern to your Ravelry favorites here.
Pin it for later here.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: Worsted Weight Yarn / 4 / Any Color / I used Lion Brand Yarns Touch of Alpaca in Goldenrod
- Yardage: See "Fits Head Size" below for yardage of all sizes.
- Crochet Hooks: G/6/4.00mm, H/8/5.00mm (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I’ve never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Yarn Needle
- Scrap piece of yarn or stitch marker
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
- In hat band stitch pattern: 6 sts = 1.25"; 14 rows = 3"
- Body of Hat in sc: 11.5 sts = 3"; 11 rows = 3"
Fits Head Size
- Toddler: 16" - 17-½" circ. (110 yards)
- Kids: 18" - 20" circ. (130 yards)
- Teen / Adult Small: 20-½" - 22-½" circ. (150 yards)
- Adult Medium / Large: 23" - 24-½" circ. (170 yards)
- Diamonds Beanie & Slouch Pattern - Click HERE
- Diamonds Messy Bun Pattern - Scroll Down
- Diamonds Ear Warmer Pattern - Click HERE
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch(s): chain(s)
- sl st(s): slip stitch(es)
- st(s): stitch(es)
- sc: single crochet
- dc: double crochet
- inv sc2tog: invisible single crochet decrease
- RS: Right Side
- BLO: back loop only
- FLO: front loop only
- Rep: repeat
- Rnd: round
- yo: yarn over
- circ: circumference
- Turning chains are not included in stitch count unless noted otherwise.
- The majority of the pattern is worked in continuous rounds (a spiral). I suggest using a stitch marker to keep track of the round you’re on.
- Yarn Notes: Lion Brand Yarns Wool Ease, Touch of Alpaca & Pound of Love were used for the samples. Another comparable light worsted weight yarn may be used as long as gauge is met.
- Lion Brand Touch of Alpaca: 90% Acrylic / 10% Alpaca (207 yards / 190 m / 100 g / 13.5 oz).
- Lion Brand Pound of Love: 100% Acrylic (1020 yards / 932 m / 454 g / 16 oz).
- Lion Brand Yarns Wool Ease: 80% Acrylic / 20% Wool (197 yds / 180 m / 85 g / 3 oz)
- Pattern Repeats: In the crochet instructions you’ll see: rep from ( to ) around. The instructions written within the ( ) parentheses are one full pattern repeat. You are to repeat these around the entire hat. The stitch pattern will repeat evenly so you should not have any stitches remaining at the end of each round.
- Changes for sizes are written as follows: Toddler (Child, Teen/Adult Small, Adult Medium/Large).
- Diamonds Beanie & Slouch Pattern - Click HERE
- Diamonds Messy Bun Pattern - Scroll Down
- Diamonds Ear Warmer - Click HERE
- Invisible Single Crochet Decrease (inv sc2tog): Insert hook into the BLO of stitch indicated, insert hook into BLO of next stitch, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru all loops on hook.
Simple Hat Band
Gauge: Using a 5mm hook: 11.5 sc = 3" (stitch height isn't crucial)
The entire hat is worked in a spiral (continuous rounds). I strongly suggest using a scrap piece of yarn to keep track of the beginning of each round.
Set-up: Using a 5mm crochet hook, ch 60 (68, 78, 86), being careful not to twist the ch, join w/ a sl st to the 1st ch.
Rnd 1 (RS): Ch 1, working into the back hump of the foundation ch, sc in each ch around. Do not join. Begin using a stitch marker or scrap piece of yarn to keep track of the beginning of each round as you work. (60, 68, 78, 86 sts)
Rnd 2 Note: In round 2, you will increase by 2 - 4 stitches. You can place these stitches wherever you'd like. Stitch placement isn't crucial.
Rnd 2: Work 64 (72, 80, 88) sc evenly around. Do not join. (64, 72, 80, 88 sts)
Rnd 3: BLO sc in each st around. Do not join.
Do not fasten off. Continue on to Diamonds Design - Body of Hat.
Diamonds Design - Body of Hat
The remainder of this project is worked in a spiral (continuous rounds). I strongly suggest using a scrap piece of yarn to keep track of the beginning and ending of each round.
See Diamonds Chart Below
Rnd 3: (BLO sc in each of the next 2 sts, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in each of the next 3 sts, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in the next st) rep from ( to ) around.
Rnd 4: (BLO sc in the next st, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in each of the next 5 sts, FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below ) rep from ( to ) around.
Rnd 5: (FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in each of the next 7 sts) rep from ( to ) around.
Rnd 6: Rep Rnd 4. *Note: Some FLO dc will be worked into the FLO of other dc 2 rnds below.
Rnd 7: Repeat Round 3.
Rnd 8: Rep Rnd 2.
Rnd 9: Rep Rnd 1.
Repeat Rounds 2 - 9 until your hat measures 4.5" (5.5", 5.75", 6.25") from the bottom edge of the hat band.
Do not fasten off. Continue on to Messy Bun - Crown Shaping.
How to read the chart above:
- Read the chart from right to left, bottom to top.
- The Blue squares indicate when you’ll work a dc.
- Make sure to work the dc in the front loops of stitches 2 rounds below the current round.
- The vertical numbers indicate the round you’re on. Begin following the chart and working a dc in round 1 of Diamonds Design.
- The horizontal numbers represent the stitch number. This stitch pattern is a multiple of 8 stitches.
Messy Bun - Crown Shaping
Rnd 1: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in each of the next 6 sts) rep from ( to ) around. (56, 63, 70, 77 sts)
Rnd 2: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in each of the next 5 sts) rep from ( to ) around. (48, 54, 60, 66 sts)
Rnd 3: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in each of the next 4 sts) rep from ( to ) around. (40, 45, 50, 55 sts)
Rnd 4: (BLO inv sc2tog, BLO sc in each of the next 3 sts) rep from ( to ) around. (32, 36, 40, 44 sts)
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Continue on to Finishing.
Note: Make sure not to work this part too tightly or you can greatly affect the fit of your hat. Adjust your hook size to get the perfect fit, as needed.
Rnd 1: Join yarn in stitch closest to the first st of Rnd 1 of hat band, sl st in each st around the bottom of your hat band. Use the Special Join Technique (click HERE for tutorial), to join.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Your diamonds messy bun hat is complete!
Now that you've finished crocheting your Argyle Beanie, Slouch, or Messy Bun hat, add your own finishing touches using one of these fun options!
- Chain Loop Pom (click here for tutorial)
- Faux Fur Pom (click here)
- Personalized Tags (click here for tutorial)
MORE FREE CROCHET PATTERNS FROM A CROCHETED SIMPLICITY
If you enjoy this crochet beanie & slouch pattern, you may enjoy these other projects as well. And if you just want to browse, you can find all of our free crochet patterns HERE.
Are you intimidated by knit-look crochet? Would you love to learn my tips & tricks? Take an Annies Video Class with me and let me ease your fears and help you increase your skills! Click on the photo below to watch a free preview. You can also see the other 4 video classes I have available!
Please share your finished ACS projects with us in the A Crocheted Simplicity Crochet Community Group on Facebook! Use hashtag #ACrochetedSimplicity when sharing on social media so I can find your posts!