Ever since the release of my Retro Christmas Tree Towel I've received several requests for seasonal items using the same techniques. This is why I designed this coaster set. I always have the best of intentions, such as "I'll work on Christmas designs during the summer and Mother's Day designs at Christmas." And then before I know it, the next season/holiday is upon us and I haven't completed a new project! Can you relate?
Although I love the decorative towels I designed for Christmas and Valentine's Day, I thought I'd go a another route and design a different project for the home this time. The Fall Harvest Coaster Set uses only one pattern to create either pumpkin or apple coasters simply by changing the colors you use. Not a fan of coasters, but love the little basket? The basket itself is great for a variety of things such as a crochet hook holder for the table next to your favorite chair. I also think the coasters would make a great fall bunting you can hang in your home.
~Click HERE to sign-up to receive our newsletter!~
~Don't lose it, add It To Your Ravelry Favorites or Queue.~
~Don't forget to Pin It too!~
*Purchase an ad-free PDF of this pattern (including all charts and photo tutorials) on Craftsy or Ravelry*
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: 100% cotton yarn / worsted weight. You'll need 1 ball of the following colors: White (MC/110 yds), Hot Orange (CA/24 yards), Sage Green (CB/70 yards), Red (CC/24 yards)
- Crochet Hooks: I/9/5.50mm; H/8/5.00mm; G/6/4.00mm (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I've never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Tapestry Needle
- Measuring Tape
- Button & Jute (optional)
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
- ch: chain
- sc: single crochet
- dc: double crochet
- sl st: slip stitch
- sc2tog: single crochet decrease
- Alt-ch3: alternate chain 3 click here for photo tutorial
- st(s): stitch(es)
- yo: yarn over
- sp: space
- yds: yards
- MC: main color
- CA, CB, CC: contrasting colors listed in materials list
- RS / WS: right side / wrong side
- Rep: repeat
- Join w/ a single crochet: click here for photo tutorial
- BLO/FLO: back loop only / front loop only
- In Granny Stitch pattern: 10 sts = 3-¼" + 4 rows = 2"
- Coaster without Border: 3-½" W x 3-⅝" H
- Coaster with Border: 4" W x 4-½" H
- Basket: 2-¼" D x 5" W x 2-½" H
- I tend to crochet on the tighter side, if you crochet more loosely, you may need to go down a hook size or two to meet gauge. However, this is a pattern for a coaster set and not a fancy sweater so gauge isn't too terribly important. But would you be upset if you ended up with a hot plate instead of a coaster? If so, better check that gauge. 😉
- Beginning ch 3 are counted as a stitch and included in stitch count. Other beginning ch-1 are not included in stitch count, unless stated otherwise.
- First stitch of each row is worked into the same stitch as turning chain, unless stated otherwise.
- Color Changes: Work all color changes on the final pull thru of the last stitch you're working before the new color. Example: If the last st you're working before a color change is a double crochet, begin your double crochet by inserting your hook where indicated, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru 2 loops, yo with the NEW color, pull thru remaining 2 loops to complete the stitch. Then continue on with your new color. *Click here for Color Change Photo Tutorial.
- Alternate Ch-3 (alt-ch3): Complete last st of previous row, take loop off hook, insert hook into the space between the last dc and last 3 dc of previous row, put loop back on hook and pull thru space, turn, ch 3. *Click here for photo tutorial.
Fall Harvest Coaster Set Instructions
Row 1: With MC & 5.50mm hook, ch 11, switch to 5.00mm crochet hook, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Turn. (10 sts)
*Follow color chart below beginning w/ Row 2.
Row 2 (RS): Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc here & throughout), dc in same st, skip 2 sts, [ 3 dc in next st, skip next 2 sts ] work from [ to ] twice, 2 dc in last st. Turn. (10 sts)
Row 3: Ch 3, 3 dc in each of the next 3 sps, dc in top of ch 3. (11 sts)
Row 4: Alt-ch3, dc in same sp, 3 dc in each of the next 2 sps, 2 dc in last sp. Turn. (10 sts)
Rows 5 - 7: Rep Rows 3 - 4, ending with a Row 3 rep. Continue below to Row 8.
Click here for Color Change Tuutorial & tips on working yarn floats.
Apple Coaster: To make an apple coaster, instead of a pumpkin coaster, simply use a red yarn instead of orange.
Row 8: (MC) In this round you will edge the perimeter. Alt- ch1 (similar to Alt-ch3, except you only ch1), sc in same sp, sc in each st across to last dc & ch3, sc2tog in last dc & top of ch3 (10 sts), rotate to work along the left side of the coaster, ch 1, work 1 sc into the side of each sc row and 2 sc into the side of each dc row (14 sts), ch 1, rotate, work 1 sc in bottom of each st from row 1 (10 sts), ch 1, rotate, work 1 sc into the side of each sc row and 2 sc into the side of each dc row (14 sts), ch 1. Join to 1st sc of round. (48 sc + 4 ch-1 sps)
Fasten off. Finished dimensions at this point: 3-½" W x 3-⅝" H. Continue on to Border, if desired.
Rnd 1 (RS): With CB & 5.00mm crochet hook, join yarn w/ a sc in the ch-1 sp at the bottom, right corner, ch 3, sc in 3rd ch from your hook, sc in same ch-1 corner sp, ** [ ch 1, skip the next st, sc in the next st ] work from [ to ] 7 times, ch 1, (sc, ch 3, sc in 3rd ch from your hook, sc) in the next corner ch-1 sp, [ ch 1, skip the next st, sc in the next st ] work from [ to ] 5 times, ch 1 **, (sc, ch 3,sc in 3rd ch from your hook, sc) in the next corner ch-1 sp, then rep from ** to **. Join w/ a sl st to the 1st sc.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Finished dimensions: 4" W x 4-½" H (from outermost corner points).
Basket Base Instructions
Gauge: In sc, using 5.00mm hook: 7.5 sts x 8 rows = 2"
Row 1 (RS): With CB & 5.00mm crochet hook, ch 7, working in the back hump of the foundation ch, sc in the 2nd ch from your hook and in each ch across. Turn. (6 sts)
Rows 2 - 17: Ch 1, sc in each st across. Turn.
Rnd 18: Ch 1, sc in each st across (6 sts), ch 1, rotate, sc in the side of each row (18 sts), ch 1, rotate, sc in each st across (6 sts), ch 1, rotate, sc in the side of each row (18 sts), ch 1. Join w/ a sl st to the 1st st of the rnd. (48 sts + 4 ch-1's)
Do Not Fasten off. Continue on to Basket Sides. Base should be approximately 2-¼" W x 5" L.
Rnd 1 (CB): Using a 4.00mm crochet hook, ch 1, working in BLO, sc in each sc (skipping over the ch-1 at each corner) around. Join w/ a sl st to the 1st st. (48 sts)
Rnd 2 (MC): Ch 1, [ FLO sc in the next st, BLO sc in the next st ] rep around. Join.
Rnd 3: Ch 1, [ BLO sc in the next st, FLO sc in the next st ] rep around. Join.
Rnds 4 - 9: Rep Rnds 2 - 3.
Rnd 10 (CB): Ch 1, sc in each st around. Join.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Finished Height approximately 2-½"H.
Attach a button for decoration, if desired. I added a handmade wood button and attached it with a piece of jute. I made sure the ends of the jute were brought through to the front of the basket, then frayed the ends of the jute.
Find all of my FREE crochet patterns HERE
I really hope you've enjoyed this free crochet pattern & you've learned a new technique or two to add to your crochet toolbox! If you loved these techniques, check out my Ravelry shop for more great designs (such as the "Boho Chic" Mosaic Tote Bag below) to practice your new skills on!
Are you intimidated by crocheted cables? Would you love to learn? Take an Annies Video Class with me and let me ease your fears of crocheted cables! Click on the photo below to watch a free preview. You can also see the other 2 classes I have available! (affiliate link)
Please share your finished ACS projects with me in the A Crocheted Simplicity Crochet Community Group on Facebook!
These are super cute! Thanks for sharing 🙂
i just subscribes and can't wait to make these. Also when I tried to go to the place you said to click for the hook case the page is not found. How can I find it?? Thanks
I'm sorry, but that case has been discontinued. I've just removed it from my post. Thank you for the reminder!