Learn to crochet a simple drink & phone caddy that's perfect for chairs that don't come with them already built-in.
This quick and easy crochet chair caddy is perfect for a variety of chairs. It's great for beach chairs, camp chairs, patio chairs, and it's even great for wheelchairs and walkers!
Instructions are included to help you customize the size to fit your chair.
These fun crochet beach chair caddies are a great stash buster project!
We recently made them during a Mini Mystery Crochet Along and everyone was able to use leftover yarns they had laying around from other projects.
How perfect is that? A quick and easy crochet project that uses leftover yarn!
Quick Crochet Project
If you're short on time and looking for something practical, an easy crochet chair caddy also makes a great last minute gift!
If you're looking for a crochet project that you can complete in an evening, this simple chair caddy is perfect.
These fun crochet chair caddies also make a great project for craft fairs.
3 Color Options Included
First, I made the simple tri-colored granny stitch crochet caddy for myself. Next, I decided my husband needed one, and since he's a state trooper, I made a Thin Blue Line Caddy.
Then, because my creative juices were still flowing, I decided to make a pineapple chair caddy too. The funny thing is, I wasn't even trying to match my beach chair... happy accident! lol
How to Crochet a Chair Caddy
This free pattern for a phone and drink caddy is crocheted in rounds and in joined and turn rounds, from one end to the next. There is only one simple seam that needs to be sewn.
First, you'll crochet the base of the crochet drink holder in a spiral, using single crochet stitches.
Next, the crocheted drink holder pouch is made using granny stitch crochet. You'll join at the end of each round, then turn to crochet the next round.
After the crochet bottle cover is the height you need it to be, you'll then crochet the hanging strap. This is the portion that connects the drink holder to the crochet phone pocket.
Then, you'll crochet a tube in single crochet. This is for the phone pocket. After making it the depth you need it to be, you'll fasten off, lay it flat, and whipstitch the bottom opening shut.
Finally, you'll make and attach two simple crochet ties. These small ties are what help keep the beach chair caddy attached to the beach chair.
PLEASE NOTIFY ME OF FUTURE MMCAL'S
If you haven’t already done so, please make sure to subscribe to our e-mail list! Use the subscription form in the sidebar, or on the Subscribe page.
I will send out a newsletter a couple days before each MMCAL begins to give you time to choose yarn from your stash and get everything ready.
NO SPAM - PINKY PROMISE! UNSUBSCRIBE ANY TIME.
HOW TO GRANNY STITCH CROCHET
The crochet granny stitch is simply a two row repeat of a cluster of three double crochet stitches nestled between the three double crochet clusters from the previous row.
Refer to Row 2 of the Body of Drink Holder to learn how to crochet the granny stitch in joined and turned rows.
If you love using the crochet granny stitch and quick projects, I think you'll love this crochet water bottle holder.
This crochet caddy is a great stash buster project so you can use almost any worsted weight / #4 yarn you have on hand.
I recommend using 100% cotton yarn for crochet drink holders because it is most absorbent, it's durable, and it's easy to care for... simply toss it in the washer!
I made three samples and I chose to use worsted weight cotton for all 3. I love the color choices available in the Lily Sugar n' Cream line and it's easy to mix and match with Peaches and Cream and Bernat Handicrafter. All 3 are very similar yarns.
CROCHET BEACH CHAIR CADDY – FREE CROCHET CHAIR CADDY PATTERN
The free pattern is below, but if you love to work offline, I’ve got a couple other great options for you.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: Worsted Weight / 4 Cotton Yarn such as Lily Sugar n' Cream, Peaches & Cream, Bernat Handicrafter, or another comparable yarn - see PATTERN NOTES below
- Yardage: SEE PATTERN NOTES BELOW
- Scrap Buster - Use scraps of multiple colors. It'll be perfect!
- Crochet Hook: G/6/4.00mm (These crochet hooks are the only ones I use!)
- Scissors - These are my favorite because they're super sharp and mini! You can purchase just ONE, or NINE (only $1.44 each & they make great gifts for your crafting friends)
- Tapestry Needle
Materials are available from our affiliates below:
ABBREVIATIONS (US TERMS)
- ch(s): chain(s)
- sl st(s): slip stitch(es)
- st(s): stitch(es)
- yo: yarn over
- sp: space
- sc: single crochet
- dc: double crochet
- SM: stitch marker
- Rep: repeat
- Rnd: round
- RS: Right Side
- WS: Wrong Side
- MC: main color
- CC1: contrasting color 1
- CC2: contrasting color 2
- Measurements given throughout pattern.
- 4.75" W x 12" L (laid flat from bottom of drink holder to bottom of cell phone pocket)
- Turning chains are not included in stitch count unless noted otherwise.
- Yarn Note: I used the 100% cotton yarns listed above for my samples. Another similar 100% cotton yarn will work great.
- Lily Sugar 'n Cream (70.9 g / 2.5 oz / 120 yards / 109 m / 100% cotton)
- Alternative Yarns: Other fibers, such as acrylic, will work well too. The only difference I can think of may be that acrylic may stretch a bit more than 100% kitchen cotton. If you will be using an acrylic, I recommend a stiffer acrylic for this project.
- Color Ideas
- This project will look great with ALL colors and types of yarns. You could use one solid color, variegated yarn, or self-striping yarn.
- I made 3 samples, here are the yardages for each color scheme I made:
- Tri-Colored Caddy:
- Soft Ecru (MC): 1 ball (100 yards)
- Tea Rose (CC1) : 1 ball (30 yards)
- Robin's Egg (CC2): 1 ball (30 yards)
- Thin Blue Line Caddy:
- Black (MC): 1 ball (110 yards)
- Blueberry (CC1): 1 ball (30 yards)
- Pineapple Caddy:
- Yellow (MC): 1 ball (115 yards)
- Green (CC1): 1 ball (15 yards)
- Tri-Colored Caddy:
- Scrap Buster: If you have a bunch of scraps to use up, this will be the perfect project. Use the yardage, in the samples listed above, to search through your stash.
- Construction Notes: This crochet beach chair caddy is crocheted from the bottom up, starting with the drink holder side. First, you'll crochet the base in a spiral. Next, you'll crochet the drink portion of the holder by working the granny stitch in joined and turned rows. You'll finish the drink portion with a round of single crochet (if making a pineapple caddy, you'll finish with leaves). Next, without fastening off, you'll crochet the hanging strap. Then continuing on from the hanging strap, you'll create a tube for the cell phone pocket. After finishing the tube, you'll seam the bottom to create the cell phone pocket. Lastly, you'll crochet and attach two ties to the underneath.
- Cell Phone shown in the photos is 3.25" W x 6.5" H.
Crochet Chair Caddy Instructions
Drink Holder Base
Rnd 1: With a 4.00mm crochet hook and MC yarn, ch 2, work 6 sc in the 2nd ch from your hook. Do not join. (6 sts)
Begin working in a spiral. Use a scrap piece of yarn to mark the end of each round as you work.
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12 sts)
Rnd 3: (2 sc in the next st, sc in the next st) 6 times. (18 sts)
Rnd 4: (2 sc in the next st, sc in each of the next 2 sts) 6 times. (24 sts)
Rnd 5: (2 sc in the next st, sc in each of the next 3 sts) 6 times. (30 sts)
Rnd 6: (2 sc in the next st, sc in each of the next 4 sts) 6 times. Join with a sl st to the 1st st. (36 sts)
Do not fasten off. Continue on to Body of Drink Holder. Diameter of this piece should be approximately 2.75" across.
Body of Drink Holder
Tri-Colored Caddy Colors
- MC: (soft ecru): Rnds 1, 4, 7, 10, 11
- CC1 (tea rose): Rnds 2, 5, 8
- CC2 (robins egg): Rnds 3, 6, 9
Thin Blue Line Caddy Colors
- MC (black): Rnds 1 - 8 & 10 - 11
- CC (blueberry): Rnd 9
Pineapple Caddy Colors
- MC (yellow): Rnds 1 - 11
Rnd 1 (RS): Ch 3 (counts as the first dc), 2 dc in the first st, skip each of the next 2 sts, (3 dc in the next st, skip each of the next 2 sts) 11 times. Join with a sl st to the top of the ch 3. Turn. (36 sts)
Rnds 2 - 10: Ch 3 (counts as the first dc), 2 dc in the same sp as the ch 3, 3 dc in each sp around. Join. Turn. (36 sts)
Rnd 11 (RS): Ch 1, sc in each st around. Join with a sl st to the 1st st. Turn. (36 sts)
Note: If you'd like a deeper drink holder, simply repeat Rnd 2. Just make sure that Rnd 11 is worked on the RS of your crochet chair caddy.
Do not fasten off. Body of Drink Holder measures approximately 3.5" H.
Tri-Colored & Thin Blue Line Caddies, continue on to Hanging Strap.
Pineapple Caddy, continue on to Pineapple Caddy Leaves.
Pineapple Caddy Leaves
Rnd 1 (RS): With green yarn & a 4.00mm crochet hook, ch 1, sc in each st around. Join with a sl st to the 1st st. Turn. (36 sts)
Row 2 (WS): Working in BLO, (ch 2, dc in the next st, ch 3, sl st in the 3rd ch from your hook, dc in the next st, ch 1, sl st in the same st as the dc you just worked, sl st in the next st), work from ( to ) 8 times, then ch 2, dc in the next st, ch 3, sl st in the 3rd ch from your hook, dc in the next st, ch 1, sl st in the same st as the dc you just worked. Lastly, switch to MC (yellow) and then working in BOTH loops, sc in each of the remaining 10 sts. Join. Turn. (9 leaves + 10 sc)
Do not fasten off. Continue on to Hanging Strap.
Tip! If the arm of your chair is wider than mine (mine is 2" W x 2.25" H), you may want to make your Hanging Strap a little longer than what I made mine. It is best to check fit with your chairs. If you need to make yours a little longer, add rows in multiples of 2.
Tri-Colored Caddy Hanging Strap: MC (soft ecru)
Thin Blue Line Caddy Hanging Strap: MC (black)
Pineapple Caddy Hanging Strap: MC (yellow)
Rnd 1 (RS): Ch 1, sc in each of the next 10 sts. Turn. (10 sts)
Rnds 2 - 14: Sc in each st across. Turn. (10 sts)
Do not fasten off. Continue on to Cell Phone Pocket. The Hanging Strap should be approximately 3.125" L.
Cell Phone Pocket
Tri-Colored Caddy Color
MC (soft ecru): Entire cell phone pocket
Thin Blue Line Caddy Colors
MC (black): Rnds 1 - 3, 6 - the end.
CC (blueberry): Rnds 4 - 5
Pineapple Caddy Colors
MC (yellow): Entire cell phone pocket
Rnd 1: Ch 26. Join with a sl st to the 1st st of the last row of the Hanging Strap. (36 sts)
Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in the back hump of each of the next 26 chs, sc in each of the next 10 sts. Do not join. Begin working in a spiral. Use a scrap piece of yarn to mark the end of each round as you work. (36 sts)
Rnds 3 - 23: Sc in each st around. (36 sts)
Cell Phone Pocket measures approximately 5.25" H at this point.
Fasten off, leaving a 12" tail of yarn. Continue on to Seaming the Cell Phone Pocket.
Seaming the Cell Phone Pocket
Step 1: Turn your cell phone pocket inside out and lay it flat in front of you as shown in the photos on the next page.
Step 2: Using a yarn needle and tail of yarn, whipstitch the bottom of the pocket closed making sure to work into every stitch. Weave in ends. Turn pocket right side out. Continue on to Ties.
Ties (Make 2)
Make your ties as long or short as you prefer. If the arm of your chair is wider, you may want to make your ties a little longer. It is best to check fit with your chairs.
Row 1: With a 4.00mm crochet hook & yarn, ch until you reach approximately 9".
Fasten off, leaving an 8" tail of yarn to use to attach the tie to the caddy. Repeat for your second tie. Attach to Caddy as shown in the photos below. I attached my ties in the middle of the first and last rows of the Hanging Strap.
Your Beach Chair Drink & Phone Caddy is ready to use at the beach, pool, or around the campfire.
While you're patiently waiting for our next MMCAL to begin, I've dug out a few links from our MMCAL archives to share!
- MMCAL Archives #1
- MMCAL Archives #2
- MMCAL Archives #3
- MMCAL Archives #3
- MMCAL Archives #4
- MMCAL Archives #5
Psst... If you'd like to see all of them, here's the entire MMCAL Archive.
I MADE IT! NOW WHAT?
Pin this post!: Save this summer top crochet pattern to your Pinterest boards so that you can come back and make it again.
Leave a comment below: We love to hear your feedback.
Share Your Finished Projects on Facebook or Instagram: I love to see your finished projects! Share with us on social media and tag me @acrochetedsimplicity or use the hashtag #ACrochetedSimplicity so I can find your posts.
JOIN US IN THE FACEBOOK COMMUNITY GROUP!
Come share your finished projects with us in the A Crocheted Simplicity Crochet Community Group on Facebook. Join us for fun community events such as crochet alongs, join in on crochet conversations, ask questions, get advice, and share your love for crochet!