Hello & Welcome to our second Mini-Mystery Crochet Along! If you haven’t already done so, please make sure to sign-up for our newsletter so that you don’t miss out on future mini-mystery crochet alongs!
If you're new to our Mini-Mystery Crochet Alongs, please read our Information Guide in this blog post HERE so you know how to join along!
Although, our MMCAL has ended, this free crochet pattern will be available for you here on the blog forever.
For this project, I chose to use some of the Lion Brand Rewind yarn I had leftover from making my Makin' Lemonade and Stop & Rewind Sunhats. Although Lion Brand Rewind is classified as a 5/bulky yarn, I've found that it works up just like many worsted weight /4 cotton yarns (acrylic too, but testers chose to use cotton).
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: Worsted Weight / 4 Cotton Yarn, OR Lion Brand Rewind Tape Yarn (although this yarn is classified as a 5/bulky weight yarn, I find it works up like a worsted weight/4 yarn)
- Yardage: approximately 15 yards for segment 1 and 45 yards total for segments 2 & 3.
- Crochet Hook: K/10.⅚.50mm (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I’ve never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Yarn Needle
- Scrap Piece of Yarn to use as a stitch marker
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
- ch(s): chain(s)
- sl st(s): slip stitch(es)
- st(s): stitch(es)
- sp(s): space(s)
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- Alt-dc: alternate double crochet (click here for tutorial)
- Alt-tr: alternate treble crochet (click here for tutorial)
- bpsc: back post single crochet
- Special Join Technique (click here for tutorial)
- yo: yarn over
- RS: right side
- Rep: repeat
- Rnd: round
- Gauge is not crucial for this project
- Coaster Size: 4.25" diameter
- Back Post Single Crochet (bpsc): Insert your hook from back to front around the post of the designated stitch, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru both loops on hook.
- Join w/ a Single Crochet (Click HERE for tutorial): You'll be joining w/ a bpsc, not a sc, but the techniques are the same for both. You just insert your hook around the post of a st to join w/ a bpsc instead of into the top of a stitch with a regular sc.
Flower Drink Coaster Instructions (Make 4 - 8)
Rnd 1 (RS): Using a 6.5mm crochet hook, ch 2, work 9 sc in 2nd ch from your hook. Join w/ a sl st to the 1st sc. (9 sts)
Rnd 2: (Alt-dc, dc) in 1st st, 2 dc in each remaining st around. Join w/ a sl st to the alt-dc. (18 sts)
Rnd 3: Alt-dc in 1st st, dc in each of the next 2 sts, ch 4, (dc in each of the next 3 sts, ch 4) 5 times. Join w/ a sl st to the alt-dc. (18 dc + 6 ch-4 sps)
Rnd 4: (sl st in the next dc, skip the next dc, 6 hdc in next ch-4 sp, skip the next dc) 6 times. Join w/ a sl st in the same st as the 1st sl st. (36 hdc + 6 sl sts)
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Make 4 - 8 total then continue on to Coaster Caddy Base.
Coaster Caddy Base
Rnd 1 (RS): Using a 6.5mm crochet hook & yellow yarn, ch 2, work 9 sc in 2nd ch from your hook. Join w/ a sl st to the 1st sc. (9 sts)
Rnd 2: (Alt-tr, tr) in 1st st, 2 tr in each remaining st around. Join w/ a sl st to the alt-tr. (18 sts)
Rnd 3: Alt-dc in 1st st, dc in each of the next 2 sts, ch 5, (dc in each of the next 3 sts, ch 5) 5 times. Join w/ a sl st to the alt-dc. (18 dc + 6 ch-5 sps)
Rnd 4: (sl st in the next dc, skip the next dc, 8 hdc in next ch-5 sp, skip the next dc) 6 times. Join w/ a sl st in the same st as the 1st sl st. (48 hdc + 6 sl sts)
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Continue on to Coaster Caddy Sides. Note: Coaster Caddy Base should be slightly larger than your coasters.
Coaster Caddy Sides
Note: I note the color changes as I worked them in the colors I used. You can work this section in a solid color if you'd like, or work color changes as I worked them (in any colors you'd like).
Rnd 1: With the WS of the coaster caddy base facing you, join pink yarn w/ a bpsc around any st from rnd 4 of the base, bpsc around each st around the base (including hdc & sl sts). Do not join. Begin working in continuous rounds. Use a stitch marker to keep track of the beginning of each round and move it up as you complete a round. (54 sts)
Rnd 2: (sc in the next st, ch 1, skip the next st) rep around.
Color Change Note: I worked Rnds 4 & 6 in yellow.
Rnds 3 - 7: (sc in the next ch-1 sp, ch 1, skip the next st) rep around.
Note: For Coaster Caddy to fit 4 coasters, continue on to Rnd 8. For a coaster caddy to fit more than 4 coasters, continue repeating Rnd 3 until caddy is desired height, then complete Rnds 8 - 9.
Rnd 8: Switch to a 6.00mm crochet hook, sc in each sc & ch-1 sp around.
Are you intimidated by crocheted cables? Would you love to learn? Take an Annies Video Class with me and let me ease your fears of crocheted cables! Click on the photo below to watch a free preview. You can also see the other 2 classes I have available! (affiliate link)
Please share your finished ACS projects with me in the A Crocheted Simplicity Crochet Community Groupon Facebook!