I love crocheting for the guys in my family. Crochet sweaters, such as the Brentwood Pullover, are my favorite projects for the guys, but when I'm in the mood for a smaller project, crocheted hats and scarves are it! When it comes to designing for the guys, I tend to stick with basic crochet stitches as I feel they give a more classic look. The Reversible Basic Ribbed Scarf is a very simple pattern that uses alternating rows of only 2 stitches to create its reversible ribbed design.
Scarves are great projects to crochet while relaxing and watching your favorite television show, especially a simple crochet scarf pattern like this one that uses only a 2 row repeat. Totally change the look of this scarf simply by changing colors.
Make a matching beanie: Reversible Basic Ribbed Beanie
Reversible Basic Ribbed Scarf – FREE CROCHET SCARF PATTERN
The free pattern is below, but if you love to work offline, I’ve got a couple other great options for you.
Save this pattern to your Ravelry favorites here.
Pin it for later here.
The Reversible Basic Ribbed Scarf is a great staple accessory for those tough to make for guys in your life, but truthfully, it's a great unisex scarf and great for guys and gals of all ages. Easily adjust the look of your scarf by playing around with colors or by using an ombre or self-striping yarn.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: Worsted Weight / 4 / Lion Brand Wool Ease was used for the scarf in the photos
- Approximately 210 yards total
- Crochet Hooks: H/8/5.00mm; I/9/5.50mm, or size needed to obtain gauge (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I’ve never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Yarn Needle
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch(s): chain(s)
- sl st(s): slip stitch(es)
- st(s): stitch(es)
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- BLO: back loop only
- One Size: 7" W x 60" L
In pattern stitch: 15 sts = 4"; 15 rows = 4"
- Turning chains are not included in stitch count, unless stated otherwise.
- The first stitch of every row is worked into the same stitch as the turning chain, unless stated otherwise.
- You can use any worsted weight yarn. Gauge isn't overly important for your knit-look scarf and you can easily add or subtract stitches and rows as needed to reach your desired length and width.
- Yarn Notes: Lion Brand Yarns Wool Ease was used for the samples. Lion Brand Yarns Wool Ease in Forest Green Heather: 80% Acrylic / 20% Wool (197 yds / 180 m / 85 g / 3 oz)
- Yardage: 210 yards
- Tip: When working the rows of sl sts, work more loosely than you normally would (almost to the point where you think it's too loose). This will make working the following row much easier and help your gauge stay on track.
Reversible Basic Ribbed Scarf Instructions
Note: You can easily adjust the length of your scarf by increasing or decreasing your foundation chain. Likewise, you can adjust width by increasing the number of rows worked.
Row 1: Using a 5.50mm crochet hook, ch 221, switch to a 5.00mm crochet hook, hdc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in each ch across. Turn. (220 sts)
GIVE YOUR WORK A PROFESSIONAL FINISH BY BLOCKING IT! CLICK HERE TO LEARN 3 DIFFERENT WAYS TO BLOCK ACRYLIC YARN. I PREFER TO STEAM BLOCK, WHICH TECHNIQUE WILL YOU CHOOSE?
More Free Crochet Patterns from A Crocheted Simplicity
If you enjoy making this crochet scarf pattern, you may enjoy these other projects as well. And if you just want to browse, you can find all of our free crochet patterns HERE.
Are you intimidated by knit-look crochet? Would you love to learn my tips & tricks? Take an Annies Video Class with me and let me ease your fears and help you increase your skills! Click on the photo below to watch a free preview. You can also see the other 4 video classes I have available!