A little retro, a little modern, the Granny Heart Headwarmer is also warm and functional. This one is a great stash buster project, and also great for gifts! I hope you enjoy the pattern and learn a fun technique or two along the way. 🙂
*Purchase an ad-free PDF of this pattern (including all charts and photo tutorials) on Craftsy or Ravelry*
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: Light Worsted Weight yarn (the yarn picture in the photos is Lion Brand Yarn Wool-Ease ) You’ll need 1 ball of the following colors: Fisherman (MC/ 15 yds), Grey Heather (CC/100 yards or less)
- Crochet Hooks: H/8/5.00mm; I/9/5.50mm (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I’ve never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Locking Stitch Marker (2)
- Yarn Needle
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
- ch: chain
- sl st: slip stitch
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- sc2tog: single crochet decrease by 1
- hdc2tog: half double crochet decrease by 1
- Alt-ch3 (1): alternate chain 3 (1) click here for photo tutorial
- st(s): stitch(es)
- yo: yarn over
- MC: main color (white)
- CC: contrasting color (grey heather)
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- Rep: repeat
- BLO: back loop only
- Join w/ a sc: click here for photo tutorial
- In Granny Stitch pattern: 13 sts = 3.25″
- See finished granny motif size at the end of the Heart Motif instructions.
Sized to Fit Head Sizes
- Toddler: 17″ – 19″ circumference
- Child: 19″ – 21″ circumference
- Teen / Adult Small: 21″ – 22″ circumference
- Adult Medium / Large: 22.5″ – 24″ circumference
- I tend to crochet on the tighter side, if you crochet more loosely, you may need to go down a hook size or two to meet gauge.
- Beginning ch-3 in Motif are counted as a stitch and included in stitch count. Beginning ch-1 in the rest of the pattern are not included in stitch count, unless stated otherwise.
- First stitch of each row is worked into the same stitch as beginning chain, unless stated otherwise.
- Color Changes: Work all color changes on the final pull thru of the last stitch you’re working before the new color. Example: If the last st you’re working before a color change is a double crochet, begin your double crochet by inserting your hook where indicated, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru 2 loops, yo with the NEW color, pull thru remaining 2 loops to complete the stitch. Then continue on with your new color. *Click here for Change Photo Tutorial.
- Make sure to work all color changes on the WS of the motif.
- Carry your yarn while working the motif, but do not pull your yarn floats tight or your gauge will be greatly affected. *Click here to see photos.
- This Headwarmer is worked from the bottom of the heart motif up. Then you work side to side along the vertical edge to work the remainder of it.
- Alternate Ch-3 (alt-ch3): Complete last st of previous row, take loop off hook, insert hook into the space between the last dc and last 3 dc of previous row, put loop back on hook and pull thru space, turn, ch 3. *Click here for photo tutorial.
If you’re looking for a great new crochet hook case, click here to check out this one from our affiliates!
Granny Heart Headwarmer Instructions
Toddler & Child Sizes Row 1: With MC & a 5.00mm crochet hook, ch 11, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Turn. (10 sts) *Place a SM in the 1st st of Row 1 (before turning).
Teen / Adult Small & Adult Medium / Large Sizes Row 1: With MC & a 5.50mm crochet hook, ch 11, hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Turn. (10 sts) *Place a SM in the 1st st of Row 1 (before turning).
ALL SIZES Row 2 (RS): Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc here & throughout), dc in same st, skip 2 sts, [3 dc in next st, skip next 2 sts] work from [ to ] twice, 2 dc in last st. Turn. (10 sts)
*Follow color chart below beginning w/ Row 3.
Row 3: Ch 3, 3 dc in next 3 sps, dc in top of ch 3. (11 sts)
Row 4: Alt-ch3, dc in same sp, 3 dc in next 2 sps, 2 dc in last sp. Turn. (10 sts)
Rows 5 – 7: Rep Rows 3 – 4, ending with a Row 3 rep.
Toddler & Child Sizes Row 8: Alt-ch1 (similar to Alt-ch3, except you only ch1), sc in same sp, sc in each st across to last dc & ch3, sc2tog in last dc & top of ch3. Turn. (10 sts)
Teen / Adult Small & Adult Medium / Large Sizes Row 1: Alt-ch1 (similar to Alt-ch3, except you only ch1), hdc in same sp, hdc in each st across to last dc & ch3, hdc2tog in last dc & top of ch3. Turn. (10 sts)
Do not fasten off. Continue to Stretchy Ribbing below.
Toddler & Child Finished dimensions: 3-1/4″ W x 3-1/2″ H
Teen/Adult Small & Adult Medium/Large Finished dimensions: 3-3/8″ W x 4″ H
Gauge w/ 5mm crochet hook: 14 sts = 3.5″
Gauge w/ 5.5mm crochet hook: 14 sts = 4″
Row 1 (MC): RS facing you, rotate to work along the long edge, ch 1 (place a SM in the ch-1 to make it easier to find at the end of row 2), work 2 sc into the side of each dc row and 1 sc into the side of the sc (hdc) row. Turn. (13 sts) *See Photo Below.
Row 2: Ch 1, working in the BLO sl st in each st across, then sl st into the BLO of the ch-1 from Row 1. Fasten off MC and weave in ends. Turn. (14 sts)
Row 3: Join CC w/ a sc into the BLO of the 1st st, working in the BLO sc in each st across. Turn. (14 sts) *See Photo Below.
Row 4: Ch 1, working in the BLO sl st in each st across. Turn. (14 sts)
Row 5: Ch 1, working in the BLO sc in each st across. Turn. (14 sts)
Repeat Rows 4 – 5 (ending w/ a Row 5 rep) until the entire length of your headwarmer measures approximately: Toddler 13.5″ (Child 14.5″, Teen/Ad Small 15.5″, Ad Med/Lg 16.5″) (UNSTRETCHED).
Fasten off and weave in ends. Continue below to Right Side Motif Edging.
Right Side Motif Edging
Row 1: With RS facing you, join MC w/ a sc in the st with the SM from Row 1 of the heart motif, work 2 sc into the side of each dc row and 1 sc into the side of the sc (hdc) row. Turn. (14 sts) *See Photo Below.
Row 2: Ch 1, working in the BLO, sl st in each st across. (14 sts)
Fasten off leaving a 10″ tail of yarn. Continue below to Seam.
Using a yarn needle and the tail of yarn, whipstitch the BLO of Row 2 of the right side motif edging to both loops of the last row of the stretchy ribbing. Weave in ends. *See Photo Above.
© 2017, Designed by Jennifer Pionk aka A Crocheted Simplicity. All Rights Reserved.
This design, the pattern, and the images are property of A Crocheted Simplicity. The buyer may use this pattern for personal use and charity. Sales of finished items are also permitted with credit given to www.acrochetedsimplicity.com. No part of this document may be reproduced, altered, or distributed in any form, or by any means, without express written permission from Jennifer Pionk.
Please share your finished ACS projects with me in the A Crocheted Simplicity Crochet Community Group on Facebook!