A little retro, a little modern, the Granny Heart Headwarmer is also warm and functional. This one is a great stash buster project, and also great for gifts! I hope you enjoy the pattern and learn a fun technique or two along the way. 🙂
~Don’t lose it, add It To Your Ravelry Favorites or Queue.~
~Don’t forget to Pin It too!~
*Purchase an ad-free PDF of this pattern (including all charts and photo tutorials) on Ravelry*
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: Light Worsted Weight yarn (the yarn picture in the photos is Lion Brand Yarn Wool-Ease ) You’ll need 1 ball of the following colors: Fisherman (MC/ 15 yds), Grey Heather (CC/100 yards or less)
- Crochet Hooks: H/8/5.00mm; I/9/5.50mm (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I’ve never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Locking Stitch Marker (2)
- Yarn Needle
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
- ch: chain
- sl st: slip stitch
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- sc2tog: single crochet decrease by 1
- hdc2tog: half double crochet decrease by 1
- Alt-ch3 (1): alternate chain 3 (1) click here for photo tutorial
- st(s): stitch(es)
- yo: yarn over
- MC: main color (white)
- CC: contrasting color (grey heather)
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- Rep: repeat
- BLO: back loop only
- Join w/ a sc: click here for photo tutorial
- In Granny Stitch pattern: 13 sts = 3.25″
- See finished granny motif size at the end of the Heart Motif instructions.
Sized to Fit Head Sizes
- Toddler: 17" - 19" circumference
- Child: 19" - 21" circumference
- Teen / Adult Small: 21" - 22" circumference
- Adult Medium / Large: 22.5" - 24" circumference
- I tend to crochet on the tighter side, if you crochet more loosely, you may need to go down a hook size or two to meet gauge.
- Beginning ch-3 in Motif are counted as a stitch and included in stitch count. Beginning ch-1 in the rest of the pattern are not included in stitch count, unless stated otherwise.
- First stitch of each row is worked into the same stitch as beginning chain, unless stated otherwise.
- Color Changes: Work all color changes on the final pull thru of the last stitch you’re working before the new color. Example: If the last st you’re working before a color change is a double crochet, begin your double crochet by inserting your hook where indicated, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru 2 loops, yo with the NEW color, pull thru remaining 2 loops to complete the stitch. Then continue on with your new color. *Click here for Change Photo Tutorial.
- Make sure to work all color changes on the WS of the motif.
- Carry your yarn while working the motif, but do not pull your yarn floats tight or your gauge will be greatly affected. *Click here to see photos.
- This Headwarmer is worked from the bottom of the heart motif up. Then you work side to side along the vertical edge to work the remainder of it.
- Alternate Ch-3 (alt-ch3): Complete last st of previous row, take loop off hook, insert hook into the space between the last dc and last 3 dc of previous row, put loop back on hook and pull thru space, turn, ch 3. *Click here for photo tutorial.
Granny Heart Headwarmer Instructions
Toddler & Child Sizes Row 1: With MC & a 5.00mm crochet hook, ch 11, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Turn. (10 sts) *Place a SM in the 1st st of Row 1 (before turning).
Teen / Adult Small & Adult Medium / Large Sizes Row 1: With MC & a 5.50mm crochet hook, ch 11, hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Turn. (10 sts) *Place a SM in the 1st st of Row 1 (before turning).
ALL SIZES Row 2 (RS): Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc here & throughout), dc in same st, skip 2 sts, [3 dc in next st, skip next 2 sts] work from [ to ] twice, 2 dc in last st. Turn. (10 sts)
*Follow color chart below beginning w/ Row 3.
Row 3: Ch 3, 3 dc in next 3 sps, dc in top of ch 3. (11 sts)
Row 4: Alt-ch3, dc in same sp, 3 dc in next 2 sps, 2 dc in last sp. Turn. (10 sts)
Rows 5 - 7: Rep Rows 3 - 4, ending with a Row 3 rep.
Toddler & Child Sizes Row 8: Alt-ch1 (similar to Alt-ch3, except you only ch1), sc in same sp, sc in each st across to last dc & ch3, sc2tog in last dc & top of ch3. Turn. (10 sts)
Teen / Adult Small & Adult Medium / Large Sizes Row 1: Alt-ch1 (similar to Alt-ch3, except you only ch1), hdc in same sp, hdc in each st across to last dc & ch3, hdc2tog in last dc & top of ch3. Turn. (10 sts)
Do not fasten off. Continue to Stretchy Ribbing below.
Toddler & Child Finished dimensions: 3-¼" W x 3-½" H
Teen/Adult Small & Adult Medium/Large Finished dimensions: 3-⅜" W x 4" H
Gauge w/ 5mm crochet hook: 14 sts = 3.5"
Gauge w/ 5.5mm crochet hook: 14 sts = 4"
Row 1 (MC): RS facing you, rotate to work along the long edge, ch 1 (place a SM in the ch-1 to make it easier to find at the end of row 2), work 2 sc into the side of each dc row and 1 sc into the side of the sc (hdc) row. Turn. (13 sts) *See Photo Below.
Row 2: Ch 1, working in the BLO sl st in each st across, then sl st into the BLO of the ch-1 from Row 1. Fasten off MC and weave in ends. Turn. (14 sts)
Row 3: Join CC w/ a sc into the BLO of the 1st st, working in the BLO sc in each st across. Turn. (14 sts) *See Photo Below.
Row 4: Ch 1, working in the BLO sl st in each st across. Turn. (14 sts)
Row 5: Ch 1, working in the BLO sc in each st across. Turn. (14 sts)
Repeat Rows 4 - 5 (ending w/ a Row 5 rep) until the entire length of your headwarmer measures approximately: Toddler 13.5" (Child 14.5", Teen/Ad Small 15.5", Ad Med/Lg 16.5") (UNSTRETCHED).
Fasten off and weave in ends. Continue below to Right Side Motif Edging.
Right Side Motif Edging
Row 1: With RS facing you, join MC w/ a sc in the st with the SM from Row 1 of the heart motif, work 2 sc into the side of each dc row and 1 sc into the side of the sc (hdc) row. Turn. (14 sts) *See Photo Below.
Row 2: Ch 1, working in the BLO, sl st in each st across. (14 sts)
Fasten off leaving a 10" tail of yarn. Continue below to Seam.
Using a yarn needle and the tail of yarn, whipstitch the BLO of Row 2 of the right side motif edging to both loops of the last row of the stretchy ribbing. Weave in ends. *See Photo Above.
Find all of my FREE crochet patterns HERE
Please share your finished ACS projects with me in the A Crocheted Simplicity Crochet Community Group on Facebook!
This is the most adorable pattern! I absolutely LOVE the pictures of you and your daughter... they are priceless! Thank you for sharing this pattern!