This past spring when I released the Hello Sunshine Hand Towel to coordinate with The Sun's Out! Dish Scrubby, they got rave reviews. Everyone loved the coordinating towel and scrubby set and said they made the perfect set for gift giving. The set was adored so much that I decided to design a few Halloween character dish scrubbies to coordinate with my Halloween Towels (Ghost, Black Cat, & Frankenstein's Monster).
You can find the free crochet scrubby pattern for the Ghost Dish Scrubby in this post below, or you can purchase an ad-free print friendly version that contains ALL 3 Halloween Character Scrubby Patterns in one PDF, on Love Crafts here, Ravelry here, or on Etsy here.
Crochet Halloween Towel & Dish Scrubby Sets
These coordinating Halloween towels and dish scrubbies make super cute gift sets!
- Black Cat Towel & Black Cat Dish Scrubby
- Ghost Towel & Ghost Dish Scrubby
- Frankenstein's Monster Towel & Frankenstein's Monster Dish Scrubby (in this post below)
Cotton is the go-to fiber for crochet dish cloths, dish towels, and hand towels as it’s the most absorbent. There are several cotton yarns out there that would be perfect for this project, but I chose to use Lily Sugar n’ Cream 100% worsted weight cotton yarn.
Lily Sugar n’ Cream is available in 39 colors so I was able to find the perfect colors I needed for this project within the same yarn line.
For the scrubby portion, I used some of the Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle I had in my stash. If you do not have any brand of scrubby yarn in your stash, you can easily substitute cotton yarn.
Frankenstein's Monster Dish Scrubby – FREE CROCHET SCRUBBY PATTERN
The free pattern is below, but if you love to work offline, or need to order your yarn, I’ve got a couple other great options for you.
Save this pattern to your Ravelry favorites here.
Pin it for later here.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: Worsted Weight / 4 Yarn - I used Lily Sugar n’ Cream; 4 / Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn; (100% cotton / 120 yards / 70.9 g / 109 m / 2.5 oz ) & Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle 100% Polyester (174 yards / 159 m / 3 oz / 85g). If you do not want to use the scrubby type yarns, you can use all cotton yarns.
- Frankenstein's Monster Yardage:
- Bright Green Cotton Yarn (20 yards)
- Black Cotton Yarn (4 yards)
- Green Scrubby Yarn (8 yards)
- Black Scrubby Yarn (2 yards)
- Crochet Hooks: H/8/5.00mm; G/6/4.00mm (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I’ve never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Yarn Needle
- Scrap Piece of Yarn to use as a stitch marker
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch(s): chain(s)
- sl st(s): slip stitch(es)
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- 2dc-cl: double crochet cluster
- tr: treble crochet
- st(s): stitch(es)
- RS: right side
- Rep: repeat
- Rnd: round
- BLO: back loop only
- FLO: front loop only
- SM: stitch marker
- Join with a standing sc: Click HERE for photo tutorial
- Scrubby: 3.5" diameter (not including ears or features that stick out past the main center part of the scrubby)
- Frankenstein's Monster: 4" W x 3.5" H diameter (width includes ears)
- Lily Sugar n' Cream yarn, in the colors Bright Green and Black, were used for the cotton portion of the scrubby in the photos. Yarn details: 100% Cotton (120 yards / 109 m / 71 g / 2.5 oz).
- Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle yarn, in Green and Black, were used for the scrubby in the photos. Yarn details: 100% Polyester (174 yards / 159 m / 3 oz / 85g).
- Frankenstein's Monster's Yardage: Bright Green Cotton Yarn (20 yards), Black Cotton Yarn (4 yards), Green Scrubby Yarn (8 yards), Black Scrubby Yarn (2 yards)
- 2 Double Crochet Cluster (2dc-cl): Yo, insert hook where indicated, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru 2 loops, yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru 2 loops, yo, pull thru remaining loops. Click here for photo tutorial.
- Join yarn with a standing sc: When instructed to "Join with a standing sc", begin with a slip knot on your hook. Insert your hook into the stitch or space indicated, yo, pull up a loop, yo and draw thru both loops on hook. Click here for photo tutorial.
Frankenstein's Dish Scrubby Instructions
Rnd 1 (RS): Using a 5.00mm crochet hook & green cotton yarn, ch 12, sc in the 2nd ch from your hook and in each ch across. Turn. (11 sts) Place a SM in the FLO of the 1st st of Row 1. This is to mark where you begin the Monster's Scrubby Face. See photos below.
Row 2: Ch 1, FLO sc in each st across. Turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, BLO sc in each st across. Turn.
Row 4: Rep Row 2.
Row 5: Ch 3, BOTH loops 2dc-cl in the first st, BLO sc in the same st, BLO sc in each of the next 9 sts, BLO sc in the last st, BOTH loops 2dc-cl in the last st. Turn. (13 sts)
Row 6: Ch 1, sl st in the 2dc-cl (does not count as a st), ch 1, FLO sc in each of the next 11 sts. (11 sts)
Row 7: Ch 1. BLO sc in each st across. Turn. Switch to black cotton yarn. Fasten of green yarn.
Row 8: With black yarn, ch 1, BLO sc in each st across. Turn.
Row 9: Ch 1, FLO sc in each st across.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Continue on to the Finger Loop.
Row 1: Using a 5.00mm crochet hook & green cotton yarn, leave an 8" tail of yarn, ch 5, sc in the 2nd ch from your hook and in each ch across. Turn. (4 sts)
Rows 2 - 13: Ch 1, sc in each st across. Turn.
Fasten off leaving an 8" tail of yarn to sew the finger loop onto the back of the scrubby. Using a yarn needle, sew the short edges of the finger loop onto the back of the scrubby to create a loop. See photos below. Continue on to Monster's Scrubby Face.
Monster's Scrubby Face
Rnd 1 (RS): With green scrubby yarn and a 4.00mm crochet hook, join yarn with a standing sc (click HERE for tutorial) in the FLO marked with a SM from Row 1 of Monster's Head, working back and forth in rows, sc in the FLO of every st thru row 7 then switch to black scrubby yarn and continue to sc in the FLO of each st of Rows 8 & 9. See photos below.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Continue on to Monster's Eyes.
Monster's Eyes (Make 2)
Rnd 1 (RS): With black cotton yarn and a 4.00mm crochet hook, ch 2, work 3 sc in the 2nd ch from your hook. Join with a sl st to the 1st st. (3 sts) Approximate finished size is ½" in diameter.
Fasten off leaving a 6 - 8" tail of yarn. Make the 2nd eye. Position the yarn eyes on the monster as shown in the photos below and use a yarn needle and tail of yarn to attach them to the scrubby. Weave in ends. Continue on to Mouth.
With a yarn needle and 8" piece of black cotton yarn, sew a horizontal line, 1" wide, on the monster's face as shown in the photos on the last page. I went over the mouth twice to make it a little wider. Weave in ends. Continue on to Stitches.
With a yarn needle and 8" piece of black cotton yarn, sew a small diagonal line on the monster's forehead approximately ⅞" long. Then sew 2 small perpendicular lines over the center of it. See photo below. Weave in ends.
MAKE A FUN CROCHET DISH TOWEL & SCRUBBY SET!
You’ll find the coordinating hand towel HERE!
MORE FREE CROCHET PATTERNS FROM A CROCHETED SIMPLICITY
If you enjoy this crochet pattern for your kitchen, you may enjoy these other projects as well. And if you just want to browse, you can find all of our free crochet patterns HERE.
Are you intimidated by knit-look crochet? Would you love to learn my tips & tricks? Take an Annies Video Class with me and let me ease your fears and help you increase your skills! Click on the photo below to watch a free preview. You can also see the other 4 video classes I have available!
Please share your finished ACS projects with us in the A Crocheted Simplicity Crochet Community Group on Facebook! Use hashtag #ACrochetedSimplicity when sharing on social media so I can find your posts!