This past spring when I released the Hello Sunshine Hand Towel to coordinate with The Sun's Out! Dish Scrubby, they got rave reviews. Everyone loved the coordinating towel and scrubby set and said they made the perfect set for gift giving. The set was adored so much that I decided to design a few Halloween character dish scrubbies to coordinate with my Halloween Towels (Ghost, Black Cat, & Frankenstein's Monster).
You can find the free crochet scrubby pattern for the Black Cat Dish Scrubby in this post below, or you can purchase an ad-free print friendly version that contains ALL 3 Halloween Character Scrubby Patterns in one PDF, on Love Crafts here, Ravelry here, or on Etsy here.
You can find the Free Crochet Pattern for the Ghost Dish Scrubby HERE.
You can find the Free Crochet Pattern for the Frankenstein's Monster Dish Scrubby HERE.
You can find the Free Crochet Pattern for the Black Cat Towel HERE.
You can find the Free Crochet Pattern for the Ghost Towel HERE.
You can find the Free Crochet Pattern for the Frankenstein's Monster Towel HERE.
How the 2022 Halloween CAL Works
Every Monday and Thursday from August 22 through September 29, 2022, we’ll share a free crochet pattern for a Halloween-themed project. These patterns include decorations, toys, costume elements, and more.
Babé Crochet, Clover USA, Darn Good Yarn, GlassEyesOnline, Hooked for Life, KennyClayCo, KnitPal, Knitter’s Relief Balm, Unicorn, and WalnutFarmDesigns have generously provided us with fabulous prizes for our end-of-CAL giveaway. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway in this post on Underground Crafter by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, October 2, 2022!
How To Join the 2022 Halloween CAL
- You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CALCentralCrochet on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the CAL Central Crochet Facebook group, or visit this thread in the CAL Central Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have up to 12 spooky Halloween projects.
Visit Underground Crafter to learn more about the prizes, enter the end-of-CAL giveaway, and to get links to each Halloween CAL pattern as it is released.
Cotton is the go-to fiber for crochet dish cloths, dish towels, and hand towels as it’s the most absorbent. There are several cotton yarns out there that would be perfect for this project, but I chose to use Lily Sugar n’ Cream 100% worsted weight cotton yarn. Lily Sugar n’ Cream is available in 39 colors so I was able to find the perfect colors I needed for this project within the same yarn line. For the scrubby portion, I used some of the Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle I had in my stash. If you do not have any brand of scrubby yarn in your stash, you can easily substitute cotton yarn.
Black Cat Dish Scrubby – FREE CROCHET SCRUBBY PATTERN
The free pattern is below, but if you love to work offline, or need to order your yarn, I’ve got a couple other great options for you.
Save this pattern to your Ravelry favorites here.
Pin it for later here.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: Worsted Weight / 4 Yarn - I used Lily Sugar n’ Cream; 4 / Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn; (100% cotton / 120 yards / 70.9 g / 109 m / 2.5 oz ) & Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle 100% Polyester (174 yards / 159 m / 3 oz / 85g). If you do not want to use the scrubby type yarns, you can use all cotton yarns.
- Black Cat Yardage:
- Black Cotton Yarn (30 yards)
- Green Cotton Yarn (18")
- Black Scrubby Yarn (10 yards)
- Crochet Hooks: H/8/5.00mm; G/6/4.00mm (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I’ve never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Yarn Needle
- Scrap Piece of Yarn to use as a stitch marker
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch(s): chain(s)
- sl st(s): slip stitch(es)
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- tr: treble crochet
- st(s): stitch(es)
- RS: right side
- Rep: repeat
- Rnd: round
- BLO: back loop only
- FLO: front loop only
- SM: stitch marker
- Join with a standing sc: Click HERE for photo tutorial
- Scrubby: 3.5" diameter (not including ears or features that stick out past the main center part of the scrubby)
- Black Cat: 3.5" diameter (not including ears)
- Lily Sugar n' Cream yarn, in the colors Bright Green, and Black, were used for the cotton portion of the scrubby in the photos. Yarn details: 100% Cotton (120 yards / 109 m / 71 g / 2.5 oz).
- Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle yarn, in Black, was used for the scrubby in the photos. Yarn details: 100% Polyester (174 yards / 159 m / 3 oz / 85g).
- Black Cat Yardage: Black Cotton Yarn (30 yards), Green Cotton Yarn (18"), Black Scrubby Yarn (10 yards)
Black Cat Dish Scrubby Instructions
Note: The scrubby is worked in continuous rounds to keep from having an unsightly seam. Do not join at the end of each round, instead use a scrap piece of yarn to keep track of the beginning of each round. Move the scrap of yarn up as you complete each round.
Center of the Scrubby
Rnd 1 (RS): Using a 5.00mm crochet hook & black cotton yarn, ch 2, work 6 sc into the 2nd ch from your hook. (6 sts)
Rnd 2: Working in BLO, 2 sc in each st around. (12 sts) *Place a locking stitch marker in the FLO if the first st from Rnd 1. This is to mark where you begin the Catt's Scrubby Center. See photos below.
Rnd 3: Working in BLO,*2 sc in the next st, sc in the next st, rep from * around. (18 sts)
Rnd 4: Working in BLO, *2 sc in the next st, sc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * around. (24 sts)
Rnd 5: Working in BLO, *2 sc in the next st, sc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * around. (30 sts)
Rnd 6: Working in BLO, *2 sc in the next st, sc in each of the next 4 sts, rep from * around. (36 sts)
Do not fasten off. Continue on to the Cat's Ears.
Rnd 1 (RS): Ch 1, (hdc, dc) in the first st, (tr, ch 2, sl st in the 1st ch, tr) in the next st, (dc, hdc) in the next st, sl st in each of the next 6 sts, ch 1, (hdc, dc) in the next st , (tr, ch 2, sl st in the 1st ch, tr) in the next st, (dc, hdc, sl st). (2 ears)
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Continue on to the Finger Loop.
Row 1: Using a 5.00mm crochet hook & black cotton yarn, leave an 8" tail of yarn, ch 5, sc in the 2nd ch from your hook and in each ch across. Turn. (4 sts)
Rows 2 - 13: Ch 1, sc in each st across. Turn. (4 sts)
Cat's Scrubby Center
Rnd 1 (RS): With black scrubby yarn and a 4.00mm crochet hook, join yarn with a standing sc (click HERE for tutorial) in the FLO marked with a SM from Rnd 1 of Center of the of Scrubby, working in a spiral, sc in the FLO of every st thru Rnd 6 of the center of the scrubby. See photos below.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Continue on to Cat's Eyes.
Cat's Eyes (Make 2)
Rnd 1 (RS): With green cotton yarn and a 4.00mm crochet hook, ch 2, work 5 sc in the 2nd ch from your hook. Join with a sl st to the 1st st. (5 sts) Approximate finished size is ⅝" in diameter.
Fasten off leaving a 6 - 8" tail of yarn. Make the 2nd eye. Position the yarn eyes on the cat as shown in the photos on the last page and use a yarn needle and tail of yarn to attach them to the scrubby. Then with a 6" piece of black yarn and a yarn needle, sew a vertical line in the center of each eye to create pupils. Weave in ends.
MAKE A FUN CROCHET DISH TOWEL & SCRUBBY SET!
You’ll find the coordinating hand towel HERE!
MORE FREE CROCHET PATTERNS FROM A CROCHETED SIMPLICITY
If you enjoy this crochet pattern for your kitchen, you may enjoy these other projects as well. And if you just want to browse, you can find all of our free crochet patterns HERE.
Are you intimidated by knit-look crochet? Would you love to learn my tips & tricks? Take an Annies Video Class with me and let me ease your fears and help you increase your skills! Click on the photo below to watch a free preview. You can also see the other 4 video classes I have available!
Please share your finished ACS projects with us in the A Crocheted Simplicity Crochet Community Group on Facebook! Use hashtag #ACrochetedSimplicity when sharing on social media so I can find your posts!