Hello & Welcome to our 18th Mini-Mystery Crochet Along! If you haven’t already done so, please make sure to sign-up for our newsletter so that you don’t miss out on future mini-mystery crochet alongs! I always send out a newsletter a couple days before the next MMCAL begins so you have time to choose yarn from your stash and get everything ready.
IF YOU’RE NEW TO OUR MINI-MYSTERY CROCHET ALONGS, PLEASE READ OUR INFORMATION GUIDE IN THIS BLOG POST HERE SO YOU KNOW HOW TO JOIN ALONG! YOU’LL FIND ALL IMPORTANT MMCAL INFO & OUR FAQ’S!
Guest Designer Introduction
I’m so excited to announce that my good friend, Susan from Felted Button, is joining us as our next guest designer!!! Susan is a very talented designer with an extraordinary eye for color. She’s also as sweet & fun as can be in person… and she makes a great roommate at crochet conferences. 😉
Susan has 122 designs in her shop (both paid & free). Designs ranging from home decor to accessories! Here are 2 of my favorites (photos below): 5th Dimension Crochet Blanket (premium crochet pattern) and Duo Shawl (free crochet pattern)
While you’re patiently waiting for the MMCAL to begin, pop on over and visit Susan on her website where she shares free patterns, tips, and tutorials (Click HERE to visit her blog).
Mini-Mystery Crochet Along #18 Schedule, Material List & Prizes
This MMCAL is going to be run a little differently as Susan asked if she could teach a technique. When she came to me with this idea, I loved it! This is something I’ve always wanted to learn as well, so I’ll be joining in the MMCAL fun with all of you! Scroll down in this blog post to find all of the instructions for this MMCAL!
- Material List & Schedule Announcement: TODAY – SCROLL DOWN – Right here in this post!
- Crochet Along Begins: Friday, October 4, 2019 at 5am CST. **All info is in this post below**
- Monday, October 7, 2019: MMCAL Closes & winners will be drawn. Winners will be announced around noon CST.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Yarn: 100% Wool Yarn (Non-Superwash) / DK or Worsted Weight / in the colors of your choice
- Don’t have 100% wool in your stash? No worries, Susan says to grab another favorite and join us as it’ll still be fun!
- Susan says small bits of several colors will be the most fun, but 1 -2 colors will work just as well.
- Crochet Hook: G/6/4.00mm (My favorite crochet hooks are the Clover Amour Hooks, I’ve never had an ache in my hand since switching)
- Yarn Needle
- Project #1:
- Small bits of 100% Wool yarn (non-superwash)
- Baker’s Twine (or similar)
- Small buttons (optional) We should’ve known she’d incorporate buttons. 😉
- Project #2:
- Small bits of 100% Wool yarn (non-superwash)
- Embroider floss or ribbon (optional)
- Buttons (approximately 1″)
- Wool Note: If you don’t have 100% wool in your stash, no worries!! Susan says to grab another favorite and join us as it’ll still be fun!
Many of these materials are available for purchase through our affiliates below:
Mini-Mystery Crochet Along #18 Instructions
For this Mini-Mystery Crochet Along, Susan asked if she could teach us all a technique that we may be intimidated to try on our own…. FELTING! I was really excited when she asked because, to be honest, I am one of those who is a little intimidated by the process, but Susan promised to keep it simple & fun. 🙂
So, this means that this MMCAL is going to run a little differently than we’re all used to… but it’s fun to mix things up once in a while, isn’t it? 😉
Here’s how you can participate in this MMCAL:
Step 1: Choose one of the projects linked below. If you do not have 100% wool, no worries! You can still participate and be entered to win the prizes by crocheting one of the projects and posting photos (not felted).
Step 2: Crochet your project and follow Susan’s tutorial (linked below) to felt it (if you have 100% wool). If you have any questions along they way, make sure to comment and ask them on the MMCAL graphic post in the group so Susan can help.
Choose a project – Susan has chosen 2 simple projects for us to try:
- Project #1: Berries & Blooms Christmas Garland (click here) – Fun for holiday decorating & gives a quick lesson on felting. I also think they’d look fantastic on gifts, instead of disposable bows, this holiday season! **Remind me to ask Susan to show us what she did with her berries… it’s really neat!**
- Project #2: Felted Button Bracelet (click here) – Simple, quick, & perfect for tween gifts and more!
Felting Tutorials by Susan
- Felting is Fabulous (click here) – In this blog post by Susan, she shares 6 reasons why she loves felting so much. I’m sure you’ll also find some inspiration in this colorful post as well.
- How to Felt by Hand (click here) – A step-by-step tutorial teaching you how to felt by hand. You’ll also find a 3rd project in this post.
While you’re hopping around Susan’s blog, you’ve got to check out the awesome felted bags she has!!!
- (1) Winner will receive a pattern of choice from both A Crocheted Simplicity & Felted Button AND a yarn prize from A Crocheted Simplicity
- (3) Winners will each receive a pattern of choice from both A Crocheted Simplicity & Felted Button
- Each photo you post (including beginning photos of your yarn & materials) will receive a number throughout the MMCAL. Please keep track of your numbers as we use these numbers to draw winners!
Make sure you’ve joined us in the A Crocheted Simplicity Facebook Group or the A Crocheted Simplicity Ravelry Group so you don’t miss out on entering to win the prizes! Once in the group, simply look for the MMCAL post or the black & white MMCAL graphic and you’ll find us!
I can’t wait to see your finished projects!